Friday, June 26, 2009

Spread

The format for my thesis has been finalized as one spread per idea - that's all I get. The editing is going to be pretty fierce.

I've been concentrating on creating images that will explain some of the arguments and that's taking most of my time. But I will put a few of them up now.

These two are about the way Sulla (first Roman General to attack Rome) used the idea of the crowd to forward his political program.





The images are approximately the same scale. And the constructions are huge - the top podium on the bottom image is more than five times the area of the floor of the coliseum. They were built in small towns (Praeneste and Tivoli) that could never fill them - people were meant to imagine the crowd. This imagining created greater effect than an actual crowd would, since you wouldn't be swamped in an ocean of people.

No comments:

Post a Comment